Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Educating telemarketers

A paid telemarketer calling on behalf of SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving) called the house this evening during a time when I had a little bit of time on my hands, so I decided to finally answer the call. See for the past 3 weeks the same number had been calling 508-281-6565, but never leaving a message. I was a little intrigued by their persistence.

Fortunately for me, I have my laptop in the kitchen and google was already open and ready when I picked up the phone. When she told me she was calling on behalf of SADD, I immediately typed in "SADD and Planned Parenthood" into the google search engine ( I LOVE GOOGLE). Up popped a list of links and sure enough I found exactly what I needed all before she was done reading her script.


caller: "....so can we count on you to give $25 this year?"
Me: "um no..."
caller: "how about $10 like you gave last year?"
Me: "well actually, while you've been talking I have learned that SADD is linked with Planned Parenthood and I can not in good conscience provide any more financial support to your organization"
caller: "we aren't affiliated with planned parenthood"
Me: "if you'd like to go to your website and to the links, scroll 3/4 of the way down and you will see that SADD provides a link to planned parenthood for teen pregnancy"
caller: "wow I wasn't aware of this at all...." (she then went on to babble about teen pregnancy)
Me: "I'm sorry I can not and will not support something that has a link to planned parenthood. Planned Parenthood is responsible for 50 million deaths in the past 36 years. I like Whole Foods and I can't shop there because of their outright link with Planned Parenthood. I would love to do a "race for the cure", but I can't support Komen foundation because of their work with planned parenthood. I highly encourage you to search company "xyz and planned parenthood" if you'd like to see affiliations"
caller: "thank you and if you ever have any questions please ....."


I tuned her out at this point. Do you think she really heard what I was saying. Part of me says she did. She was a little shocked when I first said something about it. I'm just trying to make baby steps in the pro-life movement for all those babies that were never given a voice.

Now does this mean I support students going out and drinking and driving? Of course not. Do I think that all the money that I donated to SADD last year (the whole whopping $10) went to fund an abortion? No. But what I do know is that if a girl in a crisis pregnancy happens to visit a Planned Parenthood, they will do everything to protect the man involved and make her life "easy" with an abortion. So no, I can't support the telemarketers that call when I am able to point out an affiliation with Planned Parenthood. Will SADD remove the link because of little old me? No.

I am always very pulled because I have dear friends that have been effected by abortions and people that have lost loved ones to drunk drivers. When will businesses stop affiliating themselves with the evil that is Planned Parenthood? Maybe when more people educate themselves and stop providing them business.

No comments:

Post a Comment