Thursday, January 15, 2009

Going nutty

Spent a good 20 minutes on the phone this afternoon with a kind gentleman from General Mills trying to figure out if there new product, "Honey Nut Cheerios Snack Mix", is peanut/treenut free. I know you would think that with "Nut" in the title, it would be an obvious answer, but NO!! The label makes no mention and only warns for "Wheat, Milk & Soy ingredients". AHHHH!

If peanuts or treenuts are present in the product or have the potential for being present due to cross contamination in the manufacturing, they would BY LAW have to label it.

So the phone representative I spoke too clearly understood the seriousness of knowing if it was a safe food for a child with nut allergies. He said he did not feel confident in telling me to trust the packaging, so now we wait. He sent in a request - to who? I'm not sure, but someone that apparently has the inside information on nuts.

Hopefully, I'll get an answer quickly. We are one month from little guys weight check and he has decided to move Oreo's from his "like list" to his "do not like list". Seriously, I question his genetic makeup?? Oreo's and milk would be at the TOP of my LOVE FOR ALWAYS AND EVER list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment