Friday, January 23, 2009

Serving the Customer

This past Wednesday I had lunch with an old friend. I say "old friend" not because of her age, but because I worked for her 17 years ago when I was employed at "The Lodge" in Lake Forest Mall. I was a high school senior and it was my first real job (other than working at pizza hut in Virginia Beach). During lunch we got to talking about customer service and how there just seems to be a total lack of truly serving the customer in this day and age. We reminisced about the days of bending over backwards to help customers and how we had repeat customers that would come back because of the fun and friendly environment we provided. We truly loved our job and it showed. (Side note: we were NOT on commission sales, so it really didn't pay to do all we did. Our paychecks were going to be the same regardless of how we treated the customers.)

In my opinion, that kind of customer service is very hard to come by. Sure you could go to some of the big fru-fru stores at the local malls and get some decent service (realize though that they are receiving a commission which explains the ridiculous prices), but be sure you are dressed in your best. If you want some attention, don't even think of stepping foot in one of those shops without your Coach bag, make-up on and the most expensive designer jeans you can get your hands.

Now on a positive note, I have had two very good experiences recently. First, if I ever have a choice of taking kids to a fast-food establishment during the day there is one place that has top-notch service - Chic-Fil-A off Liberia Ave. in Manassas. If you go through the drive-thru you hear things such as "how may I serve you today" and "I look forward to serving you at the window". WOW! Then when you drive up to the window and they are smiling and appear to be truly happy to be serving you, it takes you by surprise. But it's not just the drive-thru where their customer service shines. Go inside and they are just as pleasant at the counter. Have a seat and within a few minutes, a very nice woman walks by and offers to get refills for you. Double WOW! The only downside I can find with Chic-Fil-A is that they use peanut oil, so that keeps us from being able to take Ri. Not a big deal and certainly not a deal breaker with regards to being a customer of theirs (he wouldn't eat there anyway since waffle fries aren't on his "like list").

My second positive customer service experience happened this morning at Payless in the Chantilly Crossing Shopping Ctr earlier today. I was in the shop with my 2 young escape artists trying to fit Mary Kate with new shoes (apparently she takes after her Godmother and is VERY picky). The first thing the sales associate said to me was "how can I help you, would you like me to measure anybody today". Fabulous, usually I'm wrangling them down to get their feet measured (the kids and sales associates). Off we went to try shoes on and within minutes she was over to provide further assistance all the while helping the 2 other families that were in the store. When it was time to pay, she said "so where are the rest of the kids?". I had to think a minute, did I leave someone? did someone really escape? No, she actually remembered my whole crew plus my 2 nephews coming into the store back before Christmas on a Sunday afternoon. Now THAT is good customer service. Makes me feel special and no I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with the fact that my kids probably terrorized the store that Sunday afternoon and more likely that it was that she remembered what angels they all were. WAKE UP MARGARET YOU ARE DAYDREAMING AGAIN!! I do so enjoy visiting la-la land every so often ;)

I do think that it is important to recognize good customer service and to spread the word when you receive superb service. This can be done by word of mouth to friends/family, by filling out customer care cards, completing surveys that can be found on your receipt or making a call to the store to speak to a manager. I think the positive feedback goes much further than negative comments.

1 comment:

  1. Something to think about... why do we put up with bad customer service?

    ReplyDelete