Friday, January 16, 2009

Husbands Delight is...

DELIGHTFUL!!! No worries this a totally G-rated post :) About 6 1/2 years ago I helped put together a cookbook for our Parish to help raise funds. I typed in over 700 recipes and remembered seeing this particular one "Husbands Delight" and thought that was interesting, but never went back to it. Then a few weeks ago, I was talking with a friend that has a copy of the cookbook and she had mentioned that she made the recipe and that the family loved it. Always willing to try something new, especially one with a catchy title. "Hey hon, I'm serving up some Husbands Delight for dinner!" He was on the next train home :)

So the vote was cast and came back with a resounding "make it again mom"! Mary Kate ate the most. After finishing her own 3 helpings, she got out of her highchair and went to the table to help Nolan finish eating his ;) Ri stuck with his Mac-n-Cheese (ONLY Kraft and ONLY the blue box please). Hubby also went back for seconds which speaks volumes because he rarely has seconds since he dropped 30# last Fall.

So for anyone interested here's the recipe (or if you have the book it is on pg 105 in the St. V's cookbook)
Brown & drain 1- 1 1/2 lb ground meat. Add 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1tsp each salt & pepper, 1 Tbsp sugar, 2-8oz cans of tomato sauce and 1 med. onion (chopped) {NOTE since my hubby thinks that onions are made by the devil, I omit them and instead sneak in 1 tsp onion powder}. Let that simmer covered for 15 minutes. Meanwhile cook as directed egg noodles. Mix 8 oz pkg of cream cheese and 8 oz sour cream. In greased casserole dish, layer 1/2 noodles, 1/2 meat and 1/2 cream cheese mixture. Repeat layering and then top with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Cover & cook for 30 minutes at 350. YUMMMM!

Oh and nutritionally speaking, I did use 93% lean beef (you could use ground turkey), light sour cream and 1/3 less fat cream cheese.

1 comment:

  1. "Husbands Delight" is a family favorite for my family as well! FYI - I do ad more tomato sauce than the recipe calls for, sometimes I just add jarred spaghetti sauce that I have in the fridge.
    Cherie S.

    ReplyDelete